Thursday, November 25, 2004

thanksgiving successes

we did it! we survived our first thanksgiving without burning anything or breaking anything! we made the pies last night... i made the pumpkin pie and luke made the raspberry and blackberry pie. and he made the pie crusts too! then, this morning, after a couple of early morning phone calls (much appreciated though! love you, liane and kel!) we started on cooking "the big stuff".
the turkey was fantastic (we didn't do the salt-thing, we did the beer can inside the bird thing) the rice was almost as good as mom's, the mashed potatoes were fluffy and good, made with our cute orange kitchenaid, the pies were outstanding, yummy corn and green beans, crescent rolls, such good food!!! and all in all, it was a wonderful day. i am sooooooo stuffed though! i haven't been this full in a long time. i was in some serious food-coma after eating! :) and we even did the dishes after eating! we are so grown-up..... hahahaha!
we took pictures of our table. i set it very nicely with our dishes and wine glasses and serving trays and bowls. it looked really great. the funniest part was that after we had finally gotten everything done and on the table and had the pictures taken, we realized that neither of us knew how to carve a turkey. :) but we figured it out. so silly!
we both missed our families, though! we hope all of you have just as wonderful a turkey day! and we'll be thinking of you! :) love you all!

4 comments:

Jessie said...

awwwwwww Tint! I love you too!
Sounds like a wonderful day. And can I just say one more time how much I adore the fact that your husband can bake? Really I think that is the coolest thing.
We got you a Thanksgiving scarf!!! You'll love it. :) Elan picked it out so we know it's cool! hee hee
Today will be fun but not as much fun as if you were with us. Take care and know we love you! :)

mamalali said...

Passing the phone around to everybody made it seem like you were here with us (almost!). Could you hear the "controlled" chaos in the background? Everyone was delighted they got a chance to talk with you...but I missed talking with Luke to wish him a happy Thanksgiving...so you'll have to do it for me. We are thankful for so many things...one of which is our daughters' happiness!

blever said...

My favorite part of Thanksgiving was calling you on yours and you calling me on mine =) What fun friends!
Love you!

mamalali said...

You guys are the cutest, it reminded me of our first Thanksgiving...I imagine there are pictures out there of it all....Lali and I were in Ft Sill, OK, where I was in officer's basic training, I think we spent it with john and julie anderson, and that is the perfect couple as he grew up in hicksville michigan on a farm and his dad was a butcher at the local market, he could carve a turkey in his sleep and he taught me how to do it (not that the cook books don't give you a good guide.)
Anyway, it sure is nice to lay out the nice stuff realizing that all the beautiful things are little treasures given to you by your friends and family who adore you so much. We miss you and yet we are so happy for you there with each other.
love, dad